My Life as Rachel

visual sociology blog

What Do I Want To Do -Old Topic

Filed under: Uncategorized — rachelhymowitz at 5:23 pm on Wednesday, February 24, 2010  Tagged

Vieweing the previous classes final assignments brought a lot of ideas about a main one that stuck with me was celebrity images, body image etc.. I am leaning towards maybe researching stereotypes, what brought about this idea was actually the Jersey Shore show where the cast proclaimed themselves as guidos and guidettes.  There has been tons of feedback both positive and negative about the show.  I was thinking I could focus on stereotypes form appearance and how they dress such as guidos, punks, nerds,rich, poor etc…  Im debating whether I would print out actual photos of each stereotype and intreview people of all ages and ask what they see and to describe the person in the picture.    I could also take the path of taking pictures of people around me.  I also have to figure out if I want to narrow in on a specific stereotype which could be interesting say I did focus on guidos and guidettes especially because after the Jersey Shore the stereotype recieved some angry feedback from actual Italian Americans who were furious with the nick name.  The idea needs some expanding but I think I have found something that is different from the other classes projects that could be equally interesting.

5

antonia

March 15, 2010 @ 2:45 pm

It sounds interesting, too. Maybe you could start by reading about subcultures, stereotypes and attitudes toward them?

6

emodjsteph

March 17, 2010 @ 3:21 pm

I like this idea. Will you be looking into what factors a person’s opinion on a particular stereotype (i.e.- whether they classify themselves in a similar way or an opposite way) or simply what the reactions to these stereotypes would be? Also, what do you think you might ask people about the stereotypes themselves?

7

rachelhymowitz

March 17, 2010 @ 3:27 pm

I actually nixed this idea and decided to go with a new idea about sororities and fraternities.

8

Antonia

March 24, 2010 @ 1:58 pm

Rachel, could you please write another proposal for your new idea? Thanks.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.