My Life as Rachel

visual sociology blog

Ethical Considerations

Filed under: Uncategorized — rachelhymowitz at 4:10 pm on Wednesday, March 24, 2010  Tagged

For our project an ethical consideration we have encountered is getting consent from the brothers of Alpha Tau Omega and the sisters of Alpha Phi and their rituals from the pledging process.  Also known as the hazing process.  Although I am a first hand source of experience being hazed I am not the best person to be interviewed because I am after all the one researching this project.  I can however feed insights into the what the pledgers are feeling during the process.  Also a hard thing to do will be finding pictures during the hazing process from Alpha Tau Omega and from Alpha Phi because the pledging process is considered extremely sacred and secretive and only meant for other brothers/sisters to know.

9

emodjsteph

March 27, 2010 @ 7:26 pm

I think you will have a difficult time trying to get pictures of the hazing process considering they’re generally supposed to be secretive, I believe. Perhaps if you don’t use the name of the fraternity/sorority, you’ll be able to take and use pictures, that way it’ll keep the privacy.

10

lily15

April 5, 2010 @ 9:42 am

Maybe,if you can ask your sorority sisters for permission to make use of some pictures,and if not try to get in touch with other sisters of other sororities to get pictures of symbolic things that don’t include people in it.

13

Antonia

April 5, 2010 @ 1:11 pm

Good start but what exactly will be your ETHICAL considerations? I.e. how will you make sure you have permission to include pictures, and get consent from your participants? How will you protect their privacy if needed?

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.